Simple Hemp Chocolate Spread Recipe6 min read
When I am at my busiest, the ideas pour in. I’m in a state of high productivity and usually the only challenge I have is fitting in everything I want to do. But then an idea pops into my head and there is no option other than to make it happen. When we put together the Baking and Sweet Treats module for the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program, I decided that a grain-free almond bread was nothing without a melt-in-your-mouth, creamy, rich hemp chocolate spread.
Now, we don’t kick it with Nutella around here. I have nothing against hazelnuts, it’s all the other stuff. That being said, I am forever grateful to those who introduced us to the idea of spreadable chocolate.
The catch with mine, especially as this recipe was now going to be part of the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program curriculum, is it had to be healing and nutrient dense on every level.
Brain Fueling Chocolate Spread: Culinary Nutrition benefits
- Hemp Seeds: Hemp seeds are mostly fat and protein. The ratio of omega 3 to 6 is ideal as an anti-inflammatory agent and the easily digestible plant proteins make hemp seeds a superfood for brain health and nervous system nourishment.
- Raw Cacao: Having less caffeine than its roasted counterpart, raw cacao lets us take advantage of the powerful anandamide, a plant chemical that translates as bliss in the brain. Combine that with the high antioxidant concentration and magnesium to help relax the smooth muscles of the body, and you’ll be laughing at this goodness – literally!
- Ghee or Coconut Oil: The medium chain saturated fats found in both ghee (clarified butter) and coconut oil are super brain fuel. These fats provide a steady flow of energy to the body and the brain that help us to feel energized in a calming way – without the spikes and crashes. As far as a spread goes, I also love that both ghee and coconut oil are relatively solid at room temperature, but sweetly melt when spread on warm bread or a muffin.
- Raw Honey: Raw honey is my go-to sweetener of choice as it’s available locally in Toronto, and is jam packed with anti-microbial phytonutrients, enzymes and B-vitamins (or should I say bee vitamins?).
Social Media + student Love for Hemp dairy-free Chocolate Spread
This dairy-free hemp chocolate spread is absolutely amazing – but don’t just take my word for it. It’s also become a student fave! Just look at the love our students have shared:
Jessica Forse, Queensland Australia
“Grain free almond bread and hemp chocolate spread. Homework never tasted so good! Thanks #cneprogram.”
Gemma Digby, Burlington ON
“Sometimes I eat chocolate for breakfast. And I don’t feel guilty about it. I’m here to tell you to eat it and eat it with confidence! Raw cacao is full of magnesium, iron and all sorts of other goodies. Hello less stress, better sleep and more energy. This Hemp Chocolate Spread is full of vitamins and brain boosting hemp hearts.”
Candra Reynolds, Toronto ON
“Hemp seed cacao spread! Now this is yummy homework! Plus my kids ate it for breakfast. Well 2 out of 3 anyways. So easy and full of goodness.”
Elizabeth Peret, Troy MI
“A filling almond bread served with a creamy hemp seed cacao spread. Love this adventure in the nutritional culinary world!”
Jennifer Barr, Toronto ON
“There’s no turning back, freshly baked grain-free almond bread paired with freshly whipped chocolate hemp spread – simply heaven. Can’t. Stop. Eating!”
Lindsay Longley, Innisfil ON
“This nut and seed bread with a cacao-based chocolate spread was a hit with my picky eater!”
Susan Labadiam, Newington CT
“I am in love with these recipes! The chocolate hemp spread is amazing.”
Deb Ganske, Red Deer AB
“Love my homework! Especially when it’s THIS good. And easy!”
Laura Hearn, Markham ON
“This week’s homework was AH-mazing! My family has been reaping the rewards of my labour and I couldn’t be happier.”
How To Use This Hemp Chocolate Spread
This spread is amazing in so many ways!
- Spread on fresh baked gluten-free breads or muffins
- Enjoy slightly melted with apples or strawberries
- Stir a spoonful of this into your morning tea (okay, fine, or coffee) for a little mocha burst
- Use it as a cake or cupcake frosting
- Stuff it into a dried or fresh date
- As a topping for pancakes or waffles
- When freshly blended, and it’s warm and liquid-y, drizzle over dairy-free ice cream
- By the spoonful! (Yes, I went there.)
more Chocolate Spread Recipe Benefits
As I was developing this recipe for the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program, I was also taking into account the varied dietary needs of my students and their future clients. And so proudly, this can be modified to work with the following dietary restrictions or styles of eating:
A simple blender spread that is rich in brain-fueling fats and tastes awesome!
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch of sea salt
- Process all ingredients together until smooth. Add more sweetener as desired to taste.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Condiment, Dessert
I truly love creating recipes – it’s one of my most favourite things ever. And when I get to create recipes for the Culinary Nutrition Expert Program, it’s an extra layer of creativity as I aim to have every ingredient in the recipe count for health. No fillers allowed, and this of course is also the type of recipe creation I teach in the program.
Enjoy this vegan chocolate spread recipe in video-form, along with loads more in our Free Culinary Nutrition Mini-Training. Check it out now.